Getting the furniture for your home can be very rewarding because it will beautify the house while providing the much needed functions. Furniture shopping is something that must be done in moderation as there are several factors involved. This includes costing, space limitations and design. Before buying your furniture, you must first consider these factors so that you will not encounter any problems later.
Buying furniture is not like shopping for any other products. You need to choose carefully and make your decision based on several factors. This is because buying furniture is in its own way, a long-term investment. At the very least, it would be a middle-term investment.
One important factor that you must take into consideration when buying furniture is where they will be placed in. This is something that needs attention especially if you are moving into a new house and buying new furniture because you need to measure all the rooms and spaces before deciding what to buy. The best way to do this is to have a plan drawn out beforehand and you can then decide what furniture goes where.
Matching Design and concept with your home
It is very important that your furniture reflects the overall design of your house. This can be done by engaging an interior designer who will be able to help you with color schemes, types of furniture and other factors. Meanwhile, you can use another option which is to buy your furniture and borrow some ideas from IKEA. Most of the furniture sold by IKEA are fine and would be functional for many years except for your couches.
Size and shapes does matter
If you have a large kitchen and dining room, consider buying a large dining table. This is where you will be spending a lot of time on particularly during dinner. A large dining table will allow you to have better and longer communication between family members after and before dinner. Apart from that, this gives you the option to have more dishes and accommodate more people at any time.
Moving and shipping
One factor which is often overlooked is in moving the furniture in. Furniture manufacturers like IKEA often pack their products in easy to carry boxes which can fit in most cars. However, there are many other brands that do not. It would be very easy to decide if you live in a landed property while those who are in condominiums or elevated properties might find this issue to be quite a challenge.
Buy local or go global?
The first factor that you should consider really is to buy from the local manufacturers or not. In other words, should or should you not buy from the furniture that is made locally. After all, Malaysia is home to some of the best wooden furniture in the world. When it comes to buying furniture, you should consider the following:
- Brand – There are branded products like Lorenzo and the not-so-branded ones where you can buy from any pop-up stores
- Assortment – You would by now notice that there are those that sell an assortment of furniture products like Courts and IKEA
- Price – Definitely an important factor. You can pay a lot more for something that can be a fraction of the cost. So, choose wisely
You will find that there are quite a lot of local manufacturers of furniture across the country. Malaysia has one of the richest raw material in the world that you can choose from. Hence, it is quite common to find many local furniture brands, some of which you might not have heard before.
Successful pointers to follow
What then would be your rule of thumb? Here are some pointers that you will not go wrong!
- Local furniture is as good as imported ones. When you buy something that is ‘Made in Malaysia’, you are actually buying a furniture which is as good as those that are imported (like IKEA). Take note though that when you buy local furniture, look for those that are meant for the export market. That way, you can be assured of high-quality products
- Not everything from the big names is good. You can buy from IKEA or Courts or Harvey Norman but it does not mean you are guaranteed of good quality just because they are popular names. If possible, do not buy form Courts as their furniture is not as durable as desired. Furthermore, their price can be quite high as well.
Know all about the furniture manufacturers
There are many names in the furniture sector in Malaysia. You should be aware of them so that you know what to expect before buying from any of these names.
- IKEA – Probably the most popular name in this industry. There is no disputing the popularity of IKEA which is a global brand itself. For those who know better, not everything from IKEA is as good as many people would claim
- Courts – One of the popular names where you can buy furniture by installment. You need to be careful though as some of the furniture might not be of the best quality
- Cassa Malaysia – Known for its intricate designs and contemporary looks, you can buy the furniture online and it comes with an exchange policy too
- Maju Home Concept – Not many people know this but this name has been around for more than 30 years now. Among its popular products include their wood range and other home furnishings. You will enjoy their delivery services
- Delima Home – You can buy furniture online with Delima and they offer all types of home items to choose from. If you are buying within the Klang Valley, they provide free delivery while for a minimum purchase, they send to other states as well
- Lavino – This market is very competitive so free delivery within West Malaysia is pretty much the order of the day and Lavino is no different.
- ruma – The name itself is cool enough. You get a full range of not only furniture but all other home accessories as well. They currently only offer free delivery around the Klang Valley
- Harvey Norman – You can easily purchase a full range of furniture when you visit any of the Harvey Norman outlets. The furniture is usually carefully selected and you might appreciate their attention to quality here.